Winston Churchill remarked concerning the rebuilding of England on October 23 1945, “We shape our buildings and afterwards our buildings shape us.” Space is a major inhibitor of healthy, growing churches. Three types of space have to be balance: Parking, Education, and Worship.
Many churches allow their buildings to determine their growth. Some Sunday School classes get satisfied because they have a full classroom. Both should be unacceptable when it keeps the church from fulfilling God’s purpose of reaching their communities for Christ.
All space problems can be solved. Yes it might mean reorganizing, rethinking, or relocating, but they can be solved. Examine your space by analyzing your space as follows:
1. Available (know how many classrooms that you have available)
2. Adjustable (move small classes out of large rooms)
3. Adaptable (adapting areas such as halls and Kitchens and offices)
4. Adjacent (using buildings such as schools, offices, and houses)
5. Additional (building more space)
6. Multiple (using the existing building twice)